Friday, March 9, 2012

Style Profile: Brilliant Sugar



Name: Candice MacLean
Age: 27
Occupation: Newspaper editor
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

When and why did you start your site?
Like many others, I started my site because I was inspired by other bloggers. I have always loved photography, baking, cooking, outfits & documenting life in general. This seemed like a perfect way to keep it all in one place and I had thought of the name Brilliant Sugar. That year for my birthday, my (graphic designer) boyfriend bought me the domain www.brilliantsugar.com as a gift. I was set!

How would you describe your site?
It's a life and style blog where I share outfits, recipes and snapshots of simple moments of my life. It has elements that are similar to so many blogs out there, but I strive to make it unique in its own way. 


Where do you get your inspiration?
First and foremost - from the people in my life. In my group of friends I'm lucky enough to have other fashion bloggers, photographers, musicians, designers, crafters, painters ... I could go on. I'm inspired by people who are truly themselves and are genuine. When style comes from within I think it shows and stands out. I'm also hugely inspired by other fashion bloggers (who isn't?!) 

Who are your style/beauty icons?
I love the style of Olivia Palermo. I've always enjoyed Krystal of This Time Tomorrow but since she chopped her hair I can't get enough of her style. Her overall look is so killer, and I love her quirky details. A more recent favourite is Julia of Gal Meets Glam. 


Describe your personal style.
I believe in being classy and polished. I love embellishments and statement pieces and I adore playing outfits up with makeup - red lips & cat eyes being two of my favourites. 

What was the best style/beauty advice you were given?
I'm not sure if anyone specifically said this to me, but I think being a healthy person overall is key to style & beauty that makes an impact. Being happy, having fun, being positive and kind, taking care of your skin, nails, hair, and teeth adds something so much deeper and lasting to a stylish outfit.

Where are your favourite places to shop?
Local: Je Suis Prest, Envy, Silver Daisy Designs. Non-local: ASOS, Shopbop.


Style/Beauty Pet Peeve?
People that aren't genuine about what they do/wear. 

What are your five essential items that you think every woman should own?
Black skinny trousers (I'm still searching for the perfect pair !), a perfect button-up shirt, preferably in chambray, a statement necklace, perfect black pumps, and a colourful clutch (I love yellow!)


Where do you see yourself and your site in five years?
I see myself with J. and our cat Ambulance (they are my other halves!) and I see Brilliant Sugar growing & expanding as I continue to test recipes, learn more about my personal style & get to know other bloggers! There are so many creative bloggers in this little part of the world - I hope in five years I've met them all!


All images courtesy of Brilliant Sugar.




Follow Petite Adventures:
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN | PINTEREST

2 comments:

  1. love this profile!

    about to check out her blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her last outfit- very nautical chic! And a cat named Ambulance- there's definitely a story behind that one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...