Thursday, October 27, 2011

Frugalista: September

One of my goals for 2011 was to be more financially responsible. This was easier said than done.

It wasn't until the end of August, or the beginning of what I like to think of as The Season of Kate, that I finally started walking the talk. After reading a wide variety of books (everything from Smart Women Finish Rich and The Smart Cookies' Guide to Earning More Dough to Spend, Earn, Save and The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke) I sat down with my bank and credit card statements and took a long, hard look at where my money was going.


This was not an afternoon of sunshine and lollipops.

I quickly realized that there is nothing more depressing than realizing how much money you spend on clothes and, in my case, at Shoppers. So, I set myself a budget.

My goal wasn't so much to halt my spending, but to keep track of where my money went, and maybe limit how much of it was going to Shoppers each month. I picked an amount to spend on clothing that I thought was reasonable - in the vain of Goldilocks - nothing too big, nothing too small; but, enough that I figured I could get myself something new each month.

Not only did I NOT have beginners luck in my first month of being a frugalista, but I failed miserably. I blame this on the news that I was getting a raise and retro-pay - it only seemed right that I treat myself and spend the money I didn't yet have on pretty things.

Here's what I came home with:

Frugalista: September

Although I love everything that I got, I hope that October is far more successful at sticking to the budget! Only time will tell...


Follow Petite Adventures

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to follow a 'budget' when you live off of credit and debit cards. It's too easy to forget about everything you've spent money on! I do it on a monthly basis myself...

    If you've ever seen "til debt do us part", I think they've got the right idea to use cash only. When you have no cash left, that's it! But it's gotta take a lot of self-discipline I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...